I have finally joined the twenty-first century and made this website HTTPS only. This is supposedly good for Google ranking and it is definitely good for privacy.
All non-HTTPS requests are now redirected to HTTPS. Further, I’ve implemented HSTS, disabled SSLv2 and SSLv3, and done all of the things necessary to get an A+ on SSL Labs.
Hooray for security! The next step will be supporting HTTP 2.0.
A few years have passed so it seemed like it was time for yet another website change. I’ve not changed much visually, but I’ve changed the entire static content generation stack.
Previously, my site was generated using a static content generator called Nanoc. It took a set of source files written in Markdown, HTML, Haml, Sass, and a bunch of other stuff and output them as HTML and CSS. I had a lot of complexity.
Up until last week, this website was run on a generic shared hosting account. For the most part, this worked well. At times, it could be slow. I went through all kinds of trouble to tune WordPress as much as I could to make it respond faster. Unfortunately, a lot of the slowness was in the shared MySQL server that they provided. I had them move me between servers a few times, but it never fully resolved the issues.
For a long time now, I’ve been looking for a new content management system for my website. Over the years, I’ve tried all sorts of solutions and never found one that I found to be a satisfying solution. Finally, I think I may have found something I don’t absolutely hate.
In the beginning, there was Geocities. Back in those days, GeoCities websites were broken down into “cities” and addresses. For example, a URL may have looked something like http://www.